Sunday, November 19, 2006

LECTURE ONE

Unfortunately I was earning a living to feed 'the family' (pay rent and have a drink on the weekend) today and missed the lecture however, I have read the lecture notes and was quite taken aback.

I had no idea that the concept of 'communication' was so damn complicated. I'm still in shock after reading some of the definitions. How scarey. I suppose I've never really put that much thought into 'communication' before - not in that sort of detail anway. I think I'll need to re-read it all again a few times to really get my head around it.

One thing I did think of was an example of the digitisation of media. Early this year I worked for Nokia demonstrating the N70 and N90 moblie phones to retailers and customers. These phones were amazing - especially the N90. It had a 2 mega pixel Carl Zeiss retractable lense on top and the entire phone opened and twisted and turned so you could take a video or picture of anything in any direction. It had a video, photo, music and movie editor as well as radio, internet, email and a mini Microsoft Office... oh, and you could make a phone call too.

It still baffles me how it was labeled and sold as a 'moblie phone' when clearly it was a million other things first.

No comments: